Being the expert feels good. It means that you get to render your judgement about others actions and hand out advice freely. In HR, we are frequently called upon to be the expert when it comes to employees. And boy do we love to give out advice on how others should do things.
The big question is whether we are credible experts. Are we both providing expertise but also “living the way” in our own teams? Being the role model of best practices is one under utilized way that HR can shape change in an organization. Advocating for employee development? Make sure you are doing world class development within HR. There’s no better way to get others attention than to utilize your expertise to transform you own team.
As I think about the following issues that seem to be hot in our HR world, how are we role modeling the change we would want to see?
- Employer Brand — How are you branding HR? How are you branding yourself?
- Culture – Are you defining and managing to an intentional culture in HR? Do you know your core values?
- Social Media – How are you using the tools within your team to drive innovation, connection, and learning?
- Performance Management – Are you working with a process in HR to plan performance and hold people accountable? Does HR do quality goal setting?
- Diversity – How are your actively creating and embracing more diversity within in the HR team?