I had the good fortune yesterday to spend a few hours with some really smart folks talking about organizational culture. The conversation reinforced for me how complex the topic of culture really is. While I’d love to report that I walked away from that conversation with some great learnings about culture that I could share with you here, that wasn’t the case. What I did come away with was a list of questions about organizational culture.
Here are some of the headline questions for me:
- What exactly is culture? Is it something that actually exists or is it simply a way of describing the impact of the other stuff we do in our businesses?
- Does culture come before the people or do the people make up the culture?
- How do micro-cultures within departments and teams affect overall corporate culture?
- Does culture exist beyond the leader? Said another way, does the leader always drive the corporate culture?
- Does culture drive brand or does brand drive culture?